So not surprisingly the leeches are out in force after rain…one time I even dragged one to work that must of spent the night in the car!
So I’ve done some research on what the suggested prevention’s and treatments are;
- Wear women’s pantyhose, I think I’ll personally try the knee high trick! Apparently the men during the war used used this…
- Dettol, Aeroguard and Scotchguard are all supposed to be repellents, as well as tobacco…leeches hate tobacco allegedly?!
- Salt is the go to trick to get them off, or many just suggest rip them off with your fingers which I do… I have heard it’s better to use salt as they back out rather than being yanked out!
- Physical barriers seem to be tricky, tights, gaiters and gumboots are generally not that effective – they still manage to find a way in I find – especially through those shoelace holes!
- Raw honey seems to be a standout treatment, especially dabbed under a bandaid, soothing and an antiseptic.
- Tea tree oil relieves that insane itch that hangs around…!
What’s your go to prevention and treatment strategies?!
Photo Credit: Anna D’Accione Australian Museum