So… good chance it’s going to rain on your walking adventures sooner or later… So here are a few tips to make the experience a bit more comfortable and try to make it more fun as well!
- Reliable outerwear with vents. Just because it’s raining doesn’t mean it’s cold, you are walking right?! A good outer layer that’s waterproof is great, but can become a sauna. Outer gear with well-placed vents makes it a much more enjoyable experience.
- Layer. Again with a waterproof layer it can be hot; sometimes a singlet or t-shirt might be enough on the inside. Thin layers avoid that bulky feel and allow some flexibility.
- Don’t forget your backpack! Zip lock any water sensitive items that may get wet if you don’t go to the extreme of purchasing a waterproof pack. Even a makeshift cover will help make a difference…garbage bag? Why n
ot!? Just take the time to secure it properly or you will be annoyed by it shifting the whole trip.
- Waterproof shoes. If you have the luxury of waterproof hiking shoes, keep them well scotch-guarded, otherwise sometimes just a sneaker will get you through – admit defeat, your feet are probably going to get wet. Pack some heavy duty band-aids in case a potential blister starts, a spare set of socks is also a good plan.
- Keep your head dry. A hood, or even a sunhat will make all the difference in keeping you comfortable and stop water running in your eyes – will stop the fogging if you wear glasses too.
- Pack salt. Good chance the leeches with smash you! (Refer to post on leech management)
- Check the forecast. If it’s likely to turn into flooding or gale force winds. My advice, stay at home! Safety first.
- Stay hydrated. You are still moving, you need to keep up your fluids, even if you are being bucketed on – you need to still drink.
- Have fun! Yep, it’s wet, probably cold and slightly, if not a lot of feeling uncomfortable!! So what!? Embrace it, get a muddy bum from slipping over, look around – things are so different and REALLY VIBRANT in the rain…you never know what little creatures or plant life you will discover!